I wanted to share the my journey of developing self-awareness and the impact it has had on my life. The first thing I want you to do is smile. In this moment while you are reading this go wherever your mind takes you and feel whatever it is you feel behind that smile. Congratulations! that is the power of being self aware. Now I know it’s not that simple but it’s a small step in the right direction. I encourage you to keep reading in hopes that you can take away any key points that will be beneficial in your life journey.
What is self-awareness? well it’s the ability to know oneself as an individual and not be easily swayed by others and their environment. This conscious knowledge is not easily attainable and the process will sometimes be painful but it is detrimental to your growth. The only person that you should be competing with is the person in the mirror. I realized that so many are scared of that reflection but how can you know what your best life is if you don’t know yourself?
I am a reader/researcher, that is something I enjoy doing. I like to know a little bit about anything. It’s amazing that knowledge is so accessible to us and we often take it for granted. One of the sites I enjoy reading is Business News Daily. I came across the perfect article that touched on this very subject. Under leadership there was an article written titled, “Want to be a good leader? Step one: Know Thyself”they highlighted an author by the name of Sherrie Campbell who shared 7 tips for improving self-awareness from her book- “Loving Yourself: The Master of being your own Person” The tips mentioned are the following;
- Keep an open mind. When you have the ability to regulate your own emotional world, you can be attuned the emotions of others. To be a successful leader, you have to be curious about new people and all they have to offer. This shows that you can be a team player, and don’t need to be No. 1. The more open you are to others, the more creative you become.
- Be mindful of your strengths and weaknesses. Self-aware individuals know their own strengths and weaknesses and are able to work from that space. Being mindful of this means that you know when to reach out for assistance, and when you are good on your own.
- Stay focused. Making connections with those around you is important as a leader. But you can’t make those connections if you’re distracted. Train yourself to focus for long periods of time without getting sucked into social media, emails and other small distractions.
- Set boundaries. A leader needs to have strong boundaries in place. Be warm toward others, but say no when you need to say no. Be serious about your work and your passions, and keep your boundaries firm to maintain the integrity of your goals and the work you put into them.
- Know your emotional triggers. Self-aware individuals are able to identify their emotions as they are happening. Don’t repress your emotions or deny their causes; instead, be able to bend and flex with them, and fully process them before communicating with others.
- Embrace your intuition. Successful people trust their gut instincts and take the risks associated with them. Your instincts are based on the survival of the fittest and the need to succeed. They tell us what to do next. Learn to trust these and use them.
- Practice self-discipline. Good leaders tend to be disciplined at work and in every area of their life. It is a character trait that provides them with the enduring focus necessary for strong leadership.
I hope that making it to this paragraph means that you read the 7 tips and you feel more empowered to make changes in your life. To be confident in your desires, your character, your dreams, your values. Guess what no one can ever be you and that will always be your most valuable asset. Practicing self awareness will help bring the peace that so many of you are seeking.
Have a blessed Sunday everyone!